Monday, October 04, 2010



Being a tenant (at the same time as being a landlady) for the first time in my life is proving to be an enlightening experience. I'm the first to point out people's personal prejudices, after all that's what I teach (and research), but here is a new one on me: tenants are (so I've learnt) thick, dirty, disrespectful and generally people to be avoided at all costs.

Perhaps because I've spent many years around Post Grad students who of course often HAVE to rent in order to study, naively I've been oblivious of biased views from other home owners... After a month of being here, I have to admit to being quite bored now of trying (with some difficulty at times) to justify myself.

Take the latest 'little niggle' I have: my shower screen. It's old, knackered and doesn't fit properly against the wall.

The somewhat obvious 5mm gap between between the plastic and the glass means that water gets onto the bathroom floor everyday (and has done probably for 3 years prior to us moving in). Yet it took me 20 mins (and a lot of deep breaths to maintain my patience)of repeating myself before the 'plumber' (and I use the inverted commas for a reason) actually understood that I wasn't going to believe him that it 'was the design of the screen' and that yes, what I wanted to happen was for a new shower screen to be fitted (one that actually works). "Look at it this way" I explained to the very large bloke "I'm a lanndlady and if this leak was happening in MY house, I'd want it sorted asap before more damage to the floor was caused". Oh. UUUrrrrrmmm. Yes - that shocked him.

Another little lesson in life: don't make assumptions about other's circumstances from outward appearances!

No comments: