Tuesday, September 09, 2008



Wow. It’s been nearly 2 months since I’ve posted anything on here. Its not that I’ve haven’t had the time – after all, I should have much more free time now – since I finally submitted my dissertation. Eight years of working and studying and being stressed with all the work I had to do for what seemed like every minute of every day. It feels very weird to have to remind myself that I needn’t feel guilty if I’m not reading something academic. But I really wasn't in the mood for Blogging much....



Over the summer I’ve read some brilliant books. Most memorably: Khaled Hosseini’s ‘A thousand Splendid Suns’ (scary to think that a guy could write so well from a female perspective – I’d love to meet him) and Sheila Hancock’s autobiographical ‘The Two of Us’ detailing her life with Inspector Morse actor John Shaw. A bit over the top and soppy in places I thought – but well-written and insightful. I also discovered Gillian White, and although her writing is no-where near the level of many quality writers (this is solid chic-lit type stuff), it was thoroughly enjoyable and cleverly funny. Holiday reading at its best.




Now it’s back to the never-ending lesson-planning and now (a new past-time) dog-walking. Despite the rain, rain, rain since we got back from Crete, it’s been rejuvenating to have the incentive of soppy-looking dog’s eyes as motivation for getting out and about.
Some of the public footpaths and reservoirs we explore we never knew existed until recently – and we’ve lived here for years now. We also discovered Holdenby Hall who held their second Food Festival a couple of weeks ago. Luckily the rain held off for long enough so that we could see the eagles flying from their Falconry and (of course) buy some olives and spices…






J spoilt us with a trip to the famous Waterside at Bray (regrettably, Dizzy was not allowed).
And the sun really did shine that day! It was fabulous to sit looking out to the Thames and enjoy the happiest service that I think I’ve ever experienced at a Michelin-starred place. The food wasn’t too bad either;)

No comments: